Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hot Moms?

On msn.com yesterday there was a piece about a new movement (and I use that term loosely) among full time moms in which they ascribe to being a hot mom. Clarification: hot, as in sexy like Angelina Jolie. Not hot, as in living in 110 degree heat FOR OVER A WEEK, LIKE ME. (Not that it affects my mood of course. I'd never be that emotionally labile.)
So back to the hot mom idea. I find it rather demeaning. Just seems to say, "Sure, stay home and be a mom, but make sure you maintain yourself like the harem-dweller that you are." One of the rules in the Hot Mom Club is "get rid of the sweats". I for one haven't worn sweats for many moons BECAUSE I'M VERY, VERY HOT. And not like Angelina Jolie. I just thought it interesting that as the entire country faces a heat wave we're concerned that mothers of small children might adorn themselves in the very thing they're trying to avoid: sweat. But I digress. The other helpful tip (applied after one's closet is rid of all sweats) was "wear kid-friendly fashions". It was super-helpful that they demonstrated what those fashions might be, because I wouldn't have predicted them. The Hot Mom wardrobe that was modelled (by a real mom, I might add) included heels. Stilettos, platforms and strappy sandals. I guess I've lost all my heat, because there is no way I can push a stroller, carry a baby in my carrier and see the animals in the zoo in high heels. Call me crazy, but if Boy #1 decides to sprint through the parking lot, chances are my hobbled feet would not keep up. A child racing through traffic? Definitely NOT hot.
In defence of this most ludicrous Club, they did provide one tip that I consider to be helpful. The suggestion is to take time for yourself. Hear, hear. Then they lost their footing again but adding the suggestion that all Hot Moms take time to (sit down, you'll be shocked) shop, go to the spa and get rejuvenated. Am I the only American stay at home mom on a budget? Yikes. I buy my shoes at Target and my rejuvenation time usually means grocery shopping with less than two kids. I want the Hot Mom life, that's for sure.
While on the subject I have to include some celebrity wisdom. Uma Thurman has something to say about stay at home moms. She says (and yes, I'm quoting), "The stay-at-home mom is over not just because of women's liberation but because of men's liveration from wanting to be the breadwinners." So I guess if Uma Thurman says it, it's true. I AM OVER. Which, I think, is also NOT hot.
So the Hot Mom Movement can just move on. Without me.

5 Comments:

Blogger emilyruth said...

don't you just love it when people who have no connection to the outside world comment on it?...i felt the same way when i read the uma quote...oh well, i guess me & 20 of my favorite friends don't exist...how lovely...& i say yes to sweats, maybe not to a wedding but around the house in oregon, yes please...now i'm off to practice walking in my new stilletos....

5:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think Target is sexy. No, really. haha. Raising socially and morally responsible kids is sexy. Yesterday my husband said "if you feel unfulfilled being a stay at home mom, it's only because I don't tell you enough how great a job you are doing". Hear, hear. NOW I feel sexy.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

OK, NOW I'm jealous as well as hot!! What a great guy he is!
And I agree, Em, maybe no sweats at a wedding but would it work with stilettos? Kinda the dressed-up-casual-hot mom? har.

11:01 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I read the Uma quote and thought, hmmm, are you truely a stay at home mom, when you have nannies??? Just wondering...also are you still considered just a "breadwinner" if your daily wage is large enough to by enough bread for an African nation? The celebs have it so hard, I really feel their "pain" and think that I should take more of their advice, a-huh. (Although, why do I read their drivel? Why? Why? It is an illness.)

9:26 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I also think that I am going to email that husband quote to mine...I think that it is so true!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home