Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hope

I like the idea of doing a blog that isn't just a personal diary, but I have to admit, it's a bit difficult for me. So here it is, another breathtaking reflection on my life.
Spent the last 10 days in Oregon with my family... mom, dad and my sister and family were all there. My thoughtful husband even flew up for his 4-days off, which was great. And the best part is, we went to an oncologist at a teaching hospital. One of his areas of study has been in carcinoid cancer (which is what mom has) and he was so hopefuly about developments in treatment options. It was absolutely a breath of fresh air. After having worked (professionally)with lots of oncs I have to say I think there are about three categories which every single dingle one of them fall into. Exhibit A: nerd. No personal skills, no ability to rate, but very smart about statistics and the science behind their passion, although not able to explain it to anyone who doesn't have a Mensa membership. Exhibit B: nice and boring. More people skills but still 90% scientist, 10% human being. And then there's Exhibit C: crazy person, wildly passionate about oncology, and loaded with confidence. I'd say this guy falls squarely into the last category. It was so great to hear someone say, "If this doesn't work, we'll try that. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else." So yay for hope. I know there's still going to be moments of grief, but this is a really good turn in the road, to find someone with tools in his pocket.
Now if only mom could start feeling better... Recovery is a long road, but the good news is there's a longer road out there than we thought.

3 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

Yay hope....it a good thing to have.

9:22 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

Hey, that's great!! Hope is powerful...I'm glad you can feel like you at least have options...Thinking of you all!

11:33 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

good stuff...lots of love to you & your dear family:)..so glad you got a #3 ONC:)

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home