Monday, July 03, 2006

My mother, the Dutchess of York

When you're up, you're up
And when you're down you're down
And when you're only halfway up you are neither up nor down.
I think the Noble Duke of York (for whom this ditty is written) must have known about our mother. I think we've officially entered the hard part of this disease. She's back in the hospital, and while it's not life-threateningly serious, it's a setback. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, setbacks just help us come closer to a place of acceptance when the inevitable finally happens. But it's scary because when this does happen, it reminds me that I'm really going to miss my mom. And I already miss the things that she'll probably never be again. She may never be full of spunk and energy and ready for a day at the outlets... or maybe she will, but chances are better that she won't. It's hard to be positive and realistic at the same time and yet I know there's going to be the hospitalizations, unexpected infections and obstacles because that's just life with a complicated, and ultimately terminal, illness. Life sometimes throws curveballs as they say, but I feel like this is 100% fast ball coming right at me and I'm not ready to swing yet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I've never liked baseball, myself. Oh, man. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. My heart has really been with you lately, and I hope and pray for the best result. Hope you can feel the e-hug.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

well, people are thinking about you. which you know.

3:53 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

Countless thoughts your way....

12:23 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

yuck, and double yuck. I don't even know what to say, give yourself a hug from me!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Augh. I feel for you so, whilst knowing I can't understand what it feels like. I appreciate you sharing these things on the blog. Thinking of you.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home