Thursday, June 15, 2006

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

The other night #2 was struggling to go to sleep (or rather, stay asleep after .0245 seconds in the crib). After getting up from the couch for the 15th time, I said to my husband "I'm never going to be able to relax again." Turning around, I said, "I know, I'm exaggerating." (I'm really not known to be an exaggerater, really I'm not.) But after walking up the stairs and coaxing HRH #2 back to Dreamland, I realized that it's true. I'm not ever going to relax again. For the next few years we'll be working on sleeping, getting the food to the fork without making contact with carpet, and learning to ride a bike, all of which will sap me of any relaxed fiber in my body. Then we'll move on to getting the right child to the right location at the right time. Then it'll be getting a spot at the right school. Then it'll be back to the sleeping thing, since at 2 am I might be the only one in the house. And my husband? Let the record show that I love him dearly dearly and he's a wonderful dad and husband. But his relaxation? Intact. Let's just say he's slept through approximately every night of babyhood thus far. I somehow think he's going to sleep through the rest. Yep, I've officially embarked upon the rollercoaster of life. I guess it just took 2.5 yrs to figure that one out.

9 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

ahhhhh yes. The fun is just beginning!!
And your husband sleeping through the nights reminds me of that story about a couple whom we almost all know and how he claimed his kids were such great sleepers, all of them. His wife looks over at him in astonishment. They hadn't been necessarily great sleepers at all; he'd just slept through everything. Hmmm. I kind of know a dad who did the same. He was WILLING to get up but by the time I could wake him up, it was easier just to do the deed myself. Sigh. The joys of motherhood, eh?

10:14 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Beginning caveat: NOT that *I* have accomplished this, BUT....

I have learned from experiences like yours and listening to other moms say the same things, that we have to find some way to relax IN SPITE of all these things. This is why I started in on yoga...I loved how the instructor described the inner calm we were going for. Not that it changed any circumstances, any distress, etc., but that all those things would be easier if they came along with a sense of inner calm. Like I said, not that I've achieved that, but it sounds like a great idea!!

9:31 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

...and actually I don't KIND of know a dad who did the same thing, but rather I know a dad who KIND of did the same thing. whew. Glad I got that straightened out.

11:52 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

oh my, you have just labeled all of the things that I feel scared about too, but try to deny....denial is so easy....

6:00 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Ah, denial, my personal favorite. But I remember my teen years, and i wasn't the wild and crazy child some people were, and I don't know how my parents put up with me. Argh. I think I'm going to find a massage therapist and schedule weekly visits.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reminds me of a conversation we had last night with some good friends who, after 6 years of marriage, now have a newborn. i said teasingly (in between wrestling #2 into his high chair and keeping #1's hand out of her nose) "so, has parenthood changed your life?"

Simultaneously, she said, "oh wow, yes." and he said, "not really."

Guess who stays home with the baby :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

funny funny!!

4:23 PM  
Blogger EmBee said...

And this IS the easy part! For as they get older the sleepless nights due to unsettled babies become sleepless nights due to unsettled parents.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home