Monday, May 15, 2006

Consumption

We have made at least three runs to Salvation Army by now. I've taken three huge loads of kids clothes to Children's Orchard. We've put out more than our share of garbage every week.

And now, more than 1/2way through packing our mini-storage/traveling unit thing, we have *mounds* of garbage and another full load for Salvation Army.

It's pretty embarrassing. I mean, we don't buy a ton--the kids have some plastic toys, sure, but not the amazing amounts I see overflowing the living rooms of some families. I do buy too many clothes, but not anything totally outrageous--really. Where *does* all this stuff come from?

We've thrown out stuff that in many countries and for many people would be usable, practical things--and we've pitched this stuff because we don' t have the room to use it, or we can't find the matching lid, or it no longer fits.

We're a wealthy country, even when it doesn't feel like it when the bills come due.

1 Comments:

Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

One of my favorite things: hauling out a load of things I don't need to somewhere else. Rather cathartic, I think....

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home