Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A few things on my mind...

In this PC world we live in, and by that I'm referring to political correctness and not the to-Mac-or-not-to-Mac question, having a toddler can be dangerous. At the very least, walking around with a toddler who is friendly, loves to talk, and has no concept about volume control puts me at risk for great embarassment. Today we went to the bank and were just about to be helped by a teller when a very short gentleman- and I want to emphasize, he was very short - walked to the end of the line. My dear little son yells out, "Hey, look, that's a really little man!" And me? I started digging the hole I'm writing this blog from.
The burning question I'm sure you all have in your minds, is where is the more erudite sister at? Well, she's busy packing (yes, their house sold and with a very short escrow, I might add) and she likely has enough to do that she can't quite find time to elaborate on her thoughts. Is she still around? Will she once again compose the stimulating blogs of yore that we all looked for daily? Yes and yes. Just give the woman time. Perhaps you could fly out and help her move. At the very least you could drive the UHaul out west for them.
On to a more heavy thing on my mind, our family has been reminded of the simple brevity of life. Our mother has been diagnosed with cancer and it's a weird, weird experience already. It's a slow-growing kind and she's certainly got very good treatment options, but it's just odd to have this happen to someone I am so close to. It makes me wonder how I ever helped my oncology patients when I didn't fully understand how surreal it is to hear the words "cancer" and "my mom" in the same sentance. The other weird thing is that while there is no cure, she'll be in treatment for the rest of her life which sounds so daunting... but really, if my mom lives another 20 years, that'll put her at the ripe old age of 82. That's a good life. And while I know the natural order of things is that our parents go before us, I simply cannot imagine life without my mom. So all in all the last few months have been crazy for our family. One new member added to our family (Kid #2), our brother running off to the Bering Sea (no joke), proff's move across the country, and our mom's recent diagnosis. 2006 doesn't show signs of letting up and it's only May. My favorite song right now? "Remember to Breathe".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home