Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Wow.

It is the most amazing thing when one's own offspring shows a sense of wonder at the world. The other day, I picked up *Hush*, a CD by Bobby McFerrin and Yoyo Ma, who are two of the best musicians I've heard. Boy #1 was captivated. It was the coolest thing to watch. Only one song has actual words, the rest is a demonstration of Bobby McFerrin's vocal abilities to mimic instruments, animals, etc., and it was so incredible to see this 2 1/2 yr old get it. When I have studied music, I had instructors that taught me the moods of the music. I'm sure there was a time when I just innately felt those things, but that was sort of instructed out of me. I learned to trust the teacher rather than my musical intuition. But that was what amazed me about this musical situation and Boy #1: there was no explanation necessary. He laughed when the music was comical, he got serious at the "right" moments. One of those moments that made me say, this boy is connected to the world. This is quite possibly the least eloquent blog I've ever written, but I can't really express it. I'm awe-struck.

2 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

That is SO COOL!! It's so rewarding and fun and cool and sweet when one of our kids GETS something that's dear to our own heart; when they love something we love; when they truly grasp it. Maybe he'll become quite a talented musician. That would be great.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I don't think this post is non-eloquent at all. In fact, I really don't know how to respond...I know next to nothing about music, and the fact that your little child grasps it more than I would...you must have an amazing influence on him. Wow, indeed.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home