Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Slow day in the newsroom

What you're about to read will really knock your socks off so I hope you have a chair handy. Here goes...
I have nothing to say.
I know, I know, this is cause for alarm. But just know that although I haven't been blogging 3 times daily, I really am still alive. Perhaps the following explains my lack of inspiration: (a) our mother has been diagnosed with cancer and has (what I consider to be) a poor prognosis (read previous blogs if you didn't know this), (b) my father-in-law fell off of a 3rd story roof but thankfully managed to sustain nothing more than a shattered forearm, shoulder and one broken vertabrae, (c) my toddler is getting over some sort of flu which caused him to spew the entire contents of his digestive tract onto his carseat, (d) my husband also is getting over being sick, thus making me the sole nurse in the house, and (e) a week of over 100 degree heat in this forsaken valley we now call home. I guess I would also add the dreaded (for me) cousins picture. This means rounding up 6 kids, ages 4, 2, 2, 1, 6 mos and 4 mos and expecting one good shot in which they are all smiling, cooing or doing something else acceptable for hanging in a frame. In theory it is a 30 minute attempt to make them laugh. In reality it is a 30 minute period of time which shaves approximately 3 years off of the end of my life. It typically ends in tears. Tears shed by the parents, not by the children, who are usually oblivious to the agony suffered by their mothers and are content to just play like wild hooligans on the photographer's props, camera, table and anything else located in the same ZIP code. Good times, good times...
I guess I should address what is shutting me up (although now that I've gotten going, apparently it hasn't shut me up too well.
With regard to (a). Read the Silence and Silence II posts for more information. I'm still angry as the bad place that this should befall such a wonderful person with so much to offer the world.
With regard to (b), yes it is true. You CAN try this stunt at home, but I don't recommend it. He's restoring an old Victorian and the toeholds on the roof no longer could hold toes. So down he went. Thank goodness for patio roofs, it was more of a fall, roll, fall, roll, and even at that, he's a lucky, lucky man. We talked a lot this weekend about how an experience like that makes a person respect the reason why (and sometimes think twice about why) one is still walking this green earth.
As for (c), I don't know if I'll ever eat watermelon again. Spewed up watermelon does not smell nice.
We are already to (d). Yes, my dear husband succombed to the same awfulness, but did not spew, which was greatly appreciated. In addition he did not get up 3 times with a sick child and 100 times with a baby who has slept through the night beautifully until that night.
Then there's (e), which did not mix well at all with (c). When the Spewage Event occured we were 1/2 an hour from home, so we got to stay in the 100 degree heat with the carseat, spewage intact, until we got home. I have to say the 2.5 yr old is a TROOPER who didn't complain even once about it, and it was GROSS even to a mother's standard (which is high, because my 2.5 year old still wears diapers).
There you have it. The good news: we went to the library for storytime last week and what should I see? A new PHILLIPA GREGORY novel looking at me!!!!!! It's an entirely delicious novel, just like her's usually are, and it's about Katherine of Aragon, who was King Henry VIII's first wife. If you have nothing to read or are bored of news about Brangelina, this is your escape!
OK, I'm done. And that was a slow day. Just hang onto your shorts for when I really have something to say!

3 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

If only I could be so interesting when I have nothing to say....I do think that it was fun to try to keep track of all the stories with the letters and all. Life can get a bit too much sometimes, it is nice to know that other mommies are making it work too. And regarding DH, mine has taught the oldest to sing "mama mia, here we go again..." Gotta love ABBA, and it is so fitting to our life right now...."here we go again"

6:37 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

oh GROAN!!! Uck and Ick and Groan. Sometimes being bored and having nothing happen looks really really good, huh??
Hope everyone is on the mend and that you don't have to get near any puke for a long long time.
Our thoughts are with y'alls parents. The children/parent roles sure do manage to get reversed don't they!! Now it's time to take care of them!

4:45 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i L-O-V-E love you
:)

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home