Thursday, July 13, 2006

How far do I go with this?

Last week we were up yonder visiting my mother. For a few nights our 2.5 yr old was struggling to get to sleep... starting with the "I'm firsty" and continuing with "I don't wanna lay down yet", "Can I have a car? No, another car,", etc etc, ad infinitum UNTIL. He started to ask me about where the lady in the box has gone.
We have recently gone to several funerals of people that he didn't really know in his young life... And he surprised me by bringing the lady in the box up completely at random like that since our last funeral was 3 months ago. I tried the heaven idea, but it was somewhat lost on him. "Where's heaven?" And so I went through the "It's where God is," idea, which is tricky to navigate with a very literal-thinking toddler. He was happy that she was with God, since he's beginning to grasp that God is a good guy to be with, but I had to admit his concerns were beyond me when he asked the question only a 2 yr old would contemplate. He looked at me, quite puzzled, and said, "Did God help her get her clothes on? I think she just put one arm in herself." I agreed, and with that, he settled into a long summer nights dream.

2 Comments:

Blogger emilyruth said...

hello adorable..that is the cutest thing..personally i can't wait to have these talks..i just love how their little minds work & how they jump from one thing to the next...it all makes sense to them:)

we also have begun the 'just one more thing before bed' dance...& curses on me for EVER introducing him to chocolate milk...3 sippy cups later..he drifts off to dreamland:)

3:33 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I love the God talks, it seems to make my three year old go "well of course!". I like that. And Emily, girl, you live on the EDGE!!

Sam saw a dead fly in the window sill and said to his grandma "Don't worry, that fly is in Heaven looking down on us..." Great, flies in Heaven, just what I like!

LCS, you are one cool mommy!

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home