Monday, September 03, 2007

It's over, it's really over.

The summer, that is. This holiday marks the end of summer and with it, the end of long, hot days with no schedule or structure.
Not that that's a bad thing. Or a good thing either. I always look forward to summer and have lamented its end since I was young. On the other hand, I've never hated school, so I didn't dread the fall and the first day back to the classroom. As a mom of a preschooler, I am so looking forward to nine hours a week of time with only one kid. But I must admit, I'm a bit saddened by how fast life is passing by.
My oldest turns 4 in a month. Four. That's how long it took to finish my bachelor's... that's more than half the length of my marriage... that's longer than I spent working as a social worker, and twice as long as it took to become a social worker (clarification: after the BA was earned). Even though I've been at this motherhood thing for almost four years, I'm still waiting for the real mom to step in and take over since there is no possible way that it's legal for me to be responsible for these two little lives. Ah, life. It just goes.
We spent the last day of summer with friends in a park, which wore out my two bear cubs completely. After four hours of sun, potluck food, boucing in a bouncy house, interfering in a teenagers-and-dads' game of volleyball and just wandering around with KoolAid grins on, they were exhausted. It was exactly the kind of day meant to give kids good memories of summer and friends.
I'll miss you, Summer. I'll miss your warm days, your balmy evenings. But I look forward to a few more colors on the trees and the brisk mornings that will come in fall. I'll miss your swimming lessons and going to the water park, but I look forward to pumpkin-themed art projects from preschool and buying decorative gourds for our porch. I loved the free time to have a whole day to go to IKEA or the zoo with friends in our old hometown, but I can't wait for school field trips and checking out the corn-maze at a local farm.
All in all, life is rich, isn't it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Very rich, every season. Thanks for reminding me.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

I love the seasons, I love that we live in a world with varying weather... how boring to have the same thing all the time.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home