Thursday, August 09, 2007

"Poison control, how may I help you?"

You'd think that the parents of a nickel-swallowing, shirt sucking, bathtub-water-drinking 2.5 year old would learn....

Last night I was inside and DH was putting out the garbage; #2 was puttering around in the garage. He came running in and said, "mommy, smell my mouf!" I did--and it did not resonate with fruity overtones. After investigating, we discovered that he'd found the one spray bottle full of suspicious-looking brown liquid that the previous owners had left. And, of course, if you're two and a pretty curious monkey, you do what seems reasonable. Which is to stick the squirt bottle in your mouth and spray (isn't that what you do with unknown, bad-smelling liquids? I'm pretty sure that's what *we* were taught in 8th grade science class.) We sniffed and thought it smelled like lawn product--either fertilizer or weed killer. Excellent eats, all around.

So--I called poison control. I felt pretty silly saying that yes, we did have brains in our heads but yes, we'd left a bottle of unknown something within reath of a 2 year old, and no, neither of us had actually witnessed what he'd consumed. The final verdict was to go to the hospital for monitoring. Off we went--#2 was quite excited about the grand adventure of it all (fun tabs to pull off my ches? Cool! A blinking red light on my finger? Wow!)

The short of it: he's fine, nothing's wrong, we're all good (if a bit tired after getting in at 4:00 am.) But, hey, 'rents out there: put yer poisons up high!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Oh no!! Glad he's okay. I keep waiting for something like that to happen, you think you get everything and then they find the thing you missed!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Sheesh!! That must've been a terrible feeling, just the not-knowing... glad he's OK and that he saw the adventure of it all and wasn't too freaked out... now that's seeing the RoundUp as half FULL.

8:45 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

scary!!! Did you ever actually find out what it was?? Yikes. I've been so lucky. Not one of my kids was ever a put-stuff-in-mouth kind of kid. Phew. I guess it's never too late, but I don't exactly worry so much about it now.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Didge said...

liked that one...we had a rat poison scare this week in the cabin we stayed at. The owners had warned us to put all of the rat poison away as they had spread it all around the house in little saucers. We thought that we had gotten it all but then I noticed L under the table spitting something out....so we called poison control and we they said that unless he injested it on a regular basis over the next several days, he would be ok...good lesson learned! Glad you enjoyed your stay at ER in the middle of the night!

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home