Saturday, July 21, 2007

HP Moments

1. I'm in line to buy a pair of 80% off flip-flops at JC Penney, and turn around and glance behind me. A late-teen/early 20s woman is reading HP while waiting in line.

2. We're driving home in the afternoon, and I notice a college-aged couple walking back from the grocery store. She's carrying two Winco bags; he's reading aloud from HP as they walk.

3. A group of younger teens is finished with their tubing ride down the river and is waiting in a parking lot in town (a common thing here). Two are reading their HP books as they wait.

It's a pretty amazing shared cultural moment, this mass reading of HP books. V v cool.

6 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

and at the very least, it's making people---kids---READ! How great is that!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Just to show you how un-hip I am, I spent the first time reading this post wondering if there was a new magazine out called HP... are people really reading aloud (and in parking lots!)from their Hewlett Packard computers?... or just what is it people are reading?!! I still have to figure out if I wanna get into that or not. Hmm...

9:44 PM  
Blogger Didge said...

Hey..just almost asked what HP was myself, with the excuse that I was a long way from your continent and was ignorant of this new media. Caught myself just in time like lcs. Yikes.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Just gives me hope for this ol' world. That a wholesome, well-written, smut-free, 4k page book could be so adored is, as you say, v v cool. And I liked it too. :)(totally worth it LCS)

5:39 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

LOve the HP..my book was late, but it is still so good. Now I want to go back and re-read "A wrinkle in Time"...love L'engle (sp?) Keep reading America!!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

kewl! my son and i, sitting in the airport the day after the book went on sale -- there were 5 open HP books within a 15' radius of where we sat. as you say, a fun shared cultural phenomenon, plus great that people are *reading* !

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home