Saturday, June 02, 2007

The season for Small Town America

It seems like big cities are always glamorized in popular culture, as if Manhattan or LA are the only places to have a good time. I disagree. Theoretically, big cities have more to offer. But when summer rolls around, so do the good times in small towns. For example:


  • Rodeos: There's no one to impress, so you can unabashedly enjoy a bubble-gum snow cone with a little dirt (see above). Three year olds don't care that they aren't at the Grand Nationals (although I hear they are amazing). Instead, they get to ride the bucking bale of hay, barrel race a stick horse and they even get a competitor's number for their efforts (see below).



And, it's only 12 bucks to get in and kids under 7 are free. Can't find entertainment that cheap for miles around. Good times.

  • Pet Parades: When we visited my parents, the Pet Parade was scheduled, so we had to go. After all, that was where I made my own parade debut at the tender age of 10 (or so) with my friend Alicia. It was about 1984, so we carried our ghetto-blaster playing Madonna (during the uber-'80's "Like a Virgin"-era), dressed up her dog in punk-ish clothes and wore ripped fish-net stockings and reflective sunglasses. (Now that that secret is out, I'm off to live in a cave somewhere. I'll miss you all.) I remembered walking and walking and walking the parade route... for what felt like hours. This time, we arrived at 1:02 pm (it was to start at 1 pm) and we saw the last entry at... 1:06. No kidding. I was stunned to realize that someone actually took the work to put together a parade that was five. minutes. long. And the best part: the horse category. There was a person who carried a sign that introduced each category (Small Animals, Large Dogs, etc.). So when the last category, horses, came up, I knew our kids would love it. And they did. All one horses in the category. Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has nothin' on a 5 minute parade in a small town. Maybe it's the fact that the crowd I'm running with has a 5 minute attention span (at best), but sometimes less is more.
  • The Dairy Queen (reverently referred to as the DQ where I'm from): Back in the day, we used to go there every Wednesday night after Bible study. There's a table with class pictures from our high school from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. I LOVED looking at those pictures, and sometimes we'd find someone who was someone's aunt/mother/grandmother, etc. It's still there. A little more sun-faded, but it's still there. (On the green table with the wire-back chairs, prrrof, you remember?)
  • School pride, even in the summer: There's always some sign on some businesses' billboard saying, "Boys' Soccer #1 at State!" or "Congrats to Billy Bob, State Spelling Bee Champ!". More often than not, however, a simple "Go Tigers!" suffices.

There's more, really. Like going to 12 yrs of school with the same kids. Like knowing everyone's parents, grandparents and siblings. Like being known as your big sister's little sister which somehow made you feel so much better. Public swimming pools. Community softball games. Library story-times. So happy summer, Small Town America. Eat a Dilly Bar or a bubble gum snow cone on me.

7 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Wonderful pictures -- they are adorable!

And I couldn't agree more about small towns, that's why I love 'em!

Carrie

1:52 AM  
Blogger Didge said...

Hats off to our old home towns. I do kind of miss seeing those cut-off logger jeans with suspenders in red that say 'I'm a logger' and cork boots. I must say I feel an enormous amount of pride when I see 'Oregon timber products' at the sawmills over here. Like I had anything to do with it but still...

2:53 AM  
Blogger prrrof said...

Thanks for writing this. It's such a funny thing, isn't it, how where we grow up has such an influence on us. It was such a love-hate thing while we were there, at least for me--but now that we're parents, I realize how good it mostly was. For now, I just want to savor this fun post. Later, maybe we should do one that looks at the not-so-good parts of small-town living. But maybe not...

7:58 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yay pictures!! What adorable kids. Keep those coming now.

Love your post and just wonder if its actually the smallness or just the attitude? Seems like we all consider ourselves too sophisticated for such simple pleasures anymore.

PS If 80s Madonna worship = cave living, I'll be joining you. :) But, did you have the jelly bracelets and big off-to-the-side hair bows???

1:38 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

sm, I wonder how many swiss heads would turn if someone did walk around in logger jeans, suspenders and a plaid shirt. hmm.
And yes, amy, we had the armful of jelly bracelets and awful bows in our hair. But only Alicia got to wear the belt that said "Boy Toy" because my mom objected to that. Oh, well. I'm, like, so over that now.

5:11 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i am so sad that i missed the pet parade
i so wanted to go!
i loved this post
& of course could picture every little thing you mentioned
:)

there is something really great about knowing everybody
or at least a relative of everybody...
will you be making an appearance at the scandy fest?
hope so...
Q has been wearing his viking hat (plastic, believe me) since last year...
really so cute...

2:04 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I also like going to the DQ in JC. I am not fully into the new "hip" decor....but I do like reliving the memories of adjourning there after a band concert in middle school. very fun!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home