Saturday, May 12, 2007

LCS's Public Safety Announcement for May

OK, so likely not that many of you check your smoke alarms on a regular basis. If I wasn't married to a firefighter, I probably wouldn't either. But check out how fast a fire can destroy whatever is in its path. Don't believe me, then watch this (note: actually, don't watch that but at the bottom of the page is a link on the right hand side (that for whatever reason won't let me link appropriately) called Burning down the house. Watch that.) A fire doubles every minute, and in under three minutes, this living room is consumed completely. The fire would have been a lot worse in a real life setting. This one was staged by UL and is well-ventilated and has firefighters on staff for obvious reasons. This Mother's Day, check your smoke alarms. It would be a shame for all of those hand-painted hearts from your kids' preschool years to go up in smoke because you thought the batteries were working.
For more information, contact your local fire department. Thank you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

We have the weirdest smoke alarms. Every once in awhile they will just start going off for no reason (especially in the middle of the night; usually when Tom is working graveyard just to especially scare me!) It has something to do with windows being open upstairs??? or something? Anyway, I've been tempted more than once to rip them all out of the wall, and have to admit I wonder if they'd go off in a REAL emergency. Something like the smoke alarm that cried wolf.

Anyway, we have them, and we check them. For all the good it does. (You see my confidence level is low here). :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Call the alarm company that made them... they really should work right, and if they don't you'll want to know that too! All it takes is forgetting to blow out one candle before going to bed...

9:13 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thanks for the good reminder. I read some article about how if you change your batteries when you change your clocks then you should always have a good battery in your smoke alarm.

Ever since I was a little girl I have been afraid of fires. It all started when my dad became a volunteer fireman. Neeless to say I am fanatic about batteries in the smoke alarms

9:42 PM  
Blogger jay aitch said...

We also have a sprinkler system throughout our house, which you don't want to have go off, they say. Unfortunately, there is no way to check it out to see if it works!!!

11:04 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

You know why this made me grin, don't you? Yup in your house and mine - there will never be a dud smoke detector (or carbon monoxide detector either)!!

Safety first!

Carrie

11:45 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

I hope I didn't sound like I was making light of the seriousness of the article and how deadly fires can be. If I did, that wasn't what I meant. :)

Thank you for posting this.

Carrie

11:47 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Carrie, if you made fun of this, I know there's one other person in your house who'd give you a lecture about fire!! (; We have carbon monoxide alarms too... and we have discussed with our 3 year old how to get out of the house in case of fire. Sigh... comes with the badge, I guess.
But honestly after watching the couch get consumed in that (very controlled and well-ventilated) fire, it does make me realize why DH is so hyper about fire hazards... you don't exactly have time to gather your belongings once it gets going...

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home