Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sizzler is sizzlin'

I first remember Sizzler as a kid; it was one of our very special "lunch out with mom" spots. We would go there with her alone--when we had to go into town"to get braces adjusted, or whatever, we might stop for lunch if we were lucky. It seemed very grown up and hushed; I loved getting Malibu Chicken and sitting in the sunroom area.

Then, I went a long time before going to Sizzler again. In college, one opened in our relatively small college town, and we went through a streak of going there for salad bars and iced tea on hot summer (and hot fall, and hot spring) days. They served iced tea then in these huge glasses, and even though it's refillable regardless of the size of the class, somehow that iced tea looms large...

Last night, we went to Sizzler because our kids had earned free meal coupons from their summer reading program. DH and I laughed at our kids' enthusiasm for the mac-n-cheese (with a side of french fries, jello-topped-with-whipped-cream, cookie, and ice cream bar for dessert!). We also laughed at the overall Sizzleriness of it all: ordering from a girl that says your order into a microphone; being waited on by another girl who performs every single waitressing duty except taking your order; lining up with the 70+ set as they ordered their senior meals. It's been at least 10 years since we've been to one, but I could have ordered without looking at the menu (and really, I did: a double Malibu Chicken dinner for me! Fried chicken patties topped with ham and swiss cheese, served with mustard sauce--nothing better.)

Isn't it a funny place?

4 Comments:

Blogger jay aitch said...

I'm chuckling at this because husband and I have started going there now and then and getting the senior dinner. It is actually quite good and it includes the unlimited salad bar plus a whole meal. It pays to be older at the Sizzlin' Sizzler!!! :) Yes, it is a 'funny place.'

10:47 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

SLizzler! I loved going there as a kid...salad bar all the way, and didn't they have that cute "mod" colored cow family as their logo. Maybe I should go again and take the kiddos! Thanks for the re-memories.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

don't they have those clear brown plastic drinking glasses too? The last time I was pregnant I CRAVED malibu chicken (explains my crazy kid??) and got sick immediately after. Have to say, I don't think I need to go back there... It is a weird funny place though!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Didge said...

Funny, my sister worked at Sizzler and she always called it 'Scuzzler' after having worked 'behind the scenes'! I remember those brown cups too, loved them. It the first place I heard the term bottomless pit (or is it just bottomless?) drinks and remember looking in the cup to see if there was really no bottom to it. I kind of remmeber DQ in this fond way and was so disappointed when I went there last time and they had changed the lettuce. Would love to go there with YOU!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home