Thursday, January 19, 2006

Good morning world.

It's 6.15 am PST, and anyone who knows me knows this is not right. I should not be awake, much less semi-coherent at 6.15 am PST. But, alas, I've been awake for an hour now, and it seems that this is my fate for the day. Lame thing is my sweet 2 yr old will be awake in about an hour himself so it's not like I can just sleep in if I do get tired in an hour or so. Why does our body do this? How is it possible that there are just days when our brain is somehow not regulated? There are so many things that work magically in our bodies, like pregnancy and birth, the fact that children aren't born knowing how to walk or talk, how our bodies process things like food and water... But then there are a few mysteries that I would love to have answered by the Creator of all this. Why do I wake up unprovoked at 5.00 am sometimes? Why, when I do wake up like that, do I fret about things like the need to transfer money from one bank account to another even though I can't do anything about it until the bank is open? Why does my brain get consumed by things that are so unimportant as to have no affect on me, and at the same time is so unconsumed by things that ARE important and DO have an affect on me? Bizarre.

3 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

if you figure that one out, PLEASE tell me.
I would really appreciate it.
Thx.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

i think that that might be when your body is producing too much of some chemical -- like adrenaline or something -- that makes your brain feel like it should be doing SOMETHING, but since there's not actually anything to kill or eat or fight or run away from, you just fasten onto the nearest stuff that feels like a Thing I Must Do...

I come to this theory by watching the effects of high levels of anxiety on a person.
Picture that vague feeling of not-quite-worrying and blow it up till you can imagine a serious, at-times-debilitating level of unfocused anxiety. The result is a conviction that all manner of things ABSOLUTELY MUST BE ADDRESSED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE or major problems will result.
so my theory is that when you wake up at 5am and can't stop thinking about stuff you can't really do anything about anyway, it's just a mini version of hyper-anxiety.
and then again, i could be totally wrong....

2:50 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Yikes Bryan. So I really AM losing my mind! One MORE thing to worry about!! AAAAAHHHHHHHH! (Now I'll be up all night!)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home