Wednesday, December 28, 2005

gift giving

So I went to the mall yesterday, and remind me again why people (I mean grown-ups) buy each other things for Xmas and then spend the next few days returning/exchanging them?

Gifts for kids makes some kind of sense. With adults, either give each other tokens--"I thought of you" kinds of gifts, "I didn't want you to not have something to open" gifts--or give each other really meaningful things, but not just because it's some certain time of the year. One woman in front of me said, "I don't know why he got me the green sweater; I had the pink cashmere Audrey cut size medium sweater on my list!" Well, hmm. You're, what, 40 years old; I'd bet you have access to your own money; buy your own sweater!

Anyway, this kind of gift giving (among adults, spending lots of money, getting specific things that the person could buy anyway) seems kinda silly to me...

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

hear, hear!
yes, it's foolish and more importantly, it stressed me out to have to join in the madness.
so there.

11:54 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

well, you can't go by too much of what Bryan says because he's a self-appointed gift-receiving-hater. Which is dumb. In my opinion. But I know for a fact that he's a GREAT gift giver. Anyway, regarding the whole give-a-gift-return-said-gift, it can get a little pointless. I don't like the idea of giving a gift because it's required, and every year I'm determined to keep a little list of what I hear people say during the year that they like or want...but somehow I never quite get to that list. Maybe this year.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home