Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My Funny Valentine

(Aside to p:So the pencils are back, sister of mine. So sorry... I guess that's what happens when I'm left turning the wheel of technology.)

So the Dish Fairy has left. As has the Laundry Fairy and the Constant 3-yr old Entertainment Fairy. For those of you with no kids, that means my mom has left. We had a great week, and I actually did take the time she was here to do a few things that are impossible to do with a velcro baby as I have (ie prune rosebushes and take out tomato plants which should have been removed 6 or 9 months ago and go out to dinner with my husband). So onward we forge, with only one mom, one dad, and two kids to manage this homestead. Can we do it? Watch this space, you'll be the first to find out.
I can't post this without wishing my funny valentine a big HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY. This week our itty bitty baby turned 1. It seems unbelieveable that just a year ago he was tiny, weak and so vulerable. Now he's taking his first few steps, saying "hi" (or so I think) and rapidly growing out of babyhood. Sigh. Just a few moments and it's all over.
For me it's easy to dwell on how challenging these years can be, so draining physically... and yet it really is all over so fast. I'm sure my mom wonders where the years went, how we grew up so fast, and how it is that now we're the parents. I'm sure that's news to no one, it only seems more relevant as I get older (maybe I'm a slow learner).
The thing that really gets me is just how much I love my kiddos. I was never a babysitter or a lover of all things baby-ish, but for these two boys, I would do anything. Anything. I would lay down my life, change my life's plans, and mostly I'd do anything to take away the things that could hurt them. For now, that's mostly looking out for things they could trip on or flying objects that could make contact with their skulls. It's hard for me to imagine parenting later on, when life hurls things I can't intercept, especially when those things make contact with their hearts. I wonder if the hardest part about parenting is letting them go and letting them learn the lessons that life has to teach them. For now, I think the biggest thing I'm ready for is someone falling off of his bike. Thank goodness they don't actually grow up overnight.

So, Happy Birthday, Boy #2! In just 12 short months, he went from this:
... to this:
Happy birthday to my sweet, sweet baby! We love you!

8 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

LCS you made me tear up. My first is only 8 1/2 months old and yet I can't even imagine life without or even some days before she came. Ditto to all you said. I guess that's what makes us parents. :)

3:10 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

it really is amazing!
he's such a cutie!
congratulations, mom
it's your birthday too...

:)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

that's a cute kid. i almost think he's as cute as i was at that age. :-)
congrats and happy bday.

4:16 PM  
Blogger prrrof said...

Adorable. Year 2 is rockin' too! Love ya--

8:49 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

That's unbelievable!!!! I can't believe he's that big!! Has it really been THAT long since we've seen you?? Good grief. What a cutie-bug.
It's hard to not be able to insulate your kids from every hurt, every evil, every bad thing, etc. It's like wearing your skin inside out all the time.
Good luck there on your own! :)

9:55 PM  
Blogger jay aitch said...

"When they are little, they pull on your 'apron' strings; when they are older, they pull on your heart strings."

12:10 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a cutie!

My husband says parenting is just an 18 (20? 25? Forever?) year process of letting go.

7:30 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Oh Baby!

Happy First Birthday Boy #2!

Carrie

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home