Monday, December 18, 2006

Happy Unholiday

I was talking with a friend the other day who has done more and more for Christmas as the years go by; I, however, seem to be doing less and less. Not to be all bah-humbuggy or anything, but Christmas has rubbed me increasingly wrong for many (totally personal) reasons: the "aren't you buying your kids a mountain of presents?" question from friends; the "go spend lots of money that you might not have" advertiser stance; the "celebrate the birth of someone that was not actually born on December 25 or even close to it" religious perspective.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for being with family, hanging out, eating too much, and enjoying time together. I have nothing against presents, either. It's kind of awkward to be for a low-key Christmas; it's like being "against" apple pie, or the Constitution, or something. I'm just trying not to feel the pressure to do something that we don't have the money or the interest in doing (the present blitz is largely what I'm referring to).

But here's to overdoses of hot chocolate and too many games of Battleship. Now that's my idea of a holiday well-spent!

8 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Well said, couldn't agree more. Someone told me a fun gift exchange idea-- draw names a year in advance and all gifts have to be second hand or garage sale items. That's something I could get into....
Don't you guys need to visit the mountains or something? I have lots of hot chocolate and could get battleship! Merry Unchristmas..

7:42 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Didn't you read my post?? I'm all for little gifts, garage sale gifts or just hanging out, but do *something* for christmas... not because it's significant in a religious way, but because warm memories are great things... and if you feel like you HAVE to buy because the advertisers are telling you to, buy what you want to and enjoy the holiday lights and smells (pine trees and baking things).

11:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It's the new age of "less is more!". Seriously, if my kids ask for three things, I assign them to family members. My family complains that I take all the spontenaity out of shopping, but I say I don't want them to get the three things from me and THEN a bunch of other junk, too!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Extrem4 said...

She just doesn't want to buy any presents for her husband. I thought it was interesting on my birthday there was this same anti buying stuff beause of the "advertising" and how birthdays of someone who may or may not have been born on Dec 3rd. Etc. Etc. Instead I got to clean our old house after we had moved into our new house. Maybe for Xmas I can clean the toilets.
Just kidding just trying to give you a hard time Scrogette.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, LCS, about doing something. Sometimes even that something--cooking, baking, whatever--has felt like too much pressure for me lately. So, I'm trying hard not to let myself feel it. We'll be together, I'll have low expectations. And I'll also have low expectations (and no hurt feelings) on my own birthday--note Extrem4's lovely b-day experience. Eeek. And he's still married to me...

11:35 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

I too am not so keen on the whole pressure to have a mountain of presents thing...but it is indeed a fun time to get together and eat and play games and sleep and then eat some more. Have a good one!

1:37 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

i like to celebrate xmas the old-fashioned way -- you know, as a pagan winter solstice feast and dance-fest to wake up the sun.

anyway, my kids are with their mom this xmas, so i intend to fly to where it's warm. i'll be thinking of you...

also, i missed the part where i understand why LCS said "didn't you read my post?" -- made me think maybe i didn't get the original post either. but then, that's normal for me (missing the important clue)...

10:09 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Just ignore all the overkill, I know it's hard, and make it what you want.

I do have a piece of advice for the gift exchange participants, don't FORGET your name, it is rather embarrassing! Trust me.

I will raise a mug of cocoa in your honor!

Merry Winter!

Carrie

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home