Monday, November 27, 2006

Shoe Shining

On a recent trip that involved several walks through airports, I noticed, again, a practice that has always struck me as strange: grown men, sitting in large chairs, having their shoes shined by other men.

There are two reasons this practice bothers me: first, this seems like some kind of semi-private act that one normally does in one's bedroom, and I often feel some mild sensation of embarrassment as I walk by. True, there's nothing obscene about it--but it seems akin to ironing one's shirt in public, or maybe having one's hair brushed. Why is it socially acceptable for fully adult men to have other men polish their shoes in the middle of a walkway?

Secondly, I'll admit, there's something about the sight of men in business suits sitting on throne-like chairs having their shoes rubbed by men in workclothes bending over their feet that just rubs me wrong. It's some strange overt physical manifestation of class that looks so awkward to me.

I know, I know--I must be the only person who thinks this. But there it is.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ok, I must admit that I've never really given much thought to shoe shining before, but you have some really good points. Also, in addition to the class divide, there does usually seem to be a racial divide too, doesn't there? Anyway, let's ban shoe shine!! haha.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Hmm. I'm usually on the side of the table that has extra helpings of white guilt, but i have to say this one doesn't resonate for me. I use the shoeshine people in the airport because they're good at what they do -- they do a better job with better products in less time than i could do, and with tip they're making about $50/hr...

9:27 AM  
Blogger jay aitch said...

I think Bryan hit the nail on the head. They are so good at what they do. Like you said, though, it does reek of a 'private' act. We wouldn't brush our teeth in the water fountain. Could we move them into the men's restroom?

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally hear you Bryan--this is not one of those rational things (just like I know my fear of flying isn't rational. Doesn't make it easier.) It just looks odd to me--maybe it's because I didn't even see someone shining someone else's shoes until I was probably well into my 20s? It's an urban-big city thing and an airport thing, and I didn't experience those much until later. No claims here that this is an actual strange thing--just that I perceive it that way :)

6:09 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Kind of like walking past those "nail salons" with the people getting their pedicures right out there in the window!

All I can think of when I see the shoeshiners, is the scene in "Walk the Line" when Johnny Cash writes the song after seeing the little shoeshine boy. . . now I'm humming that tune, oy!

Carrie

7:20 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I've always thought that was a little weird myself but... there was a thing here about one shoeshine guy that got booted by a new shoeshine guy and there went his income. So all in all, it is one of those funny holdovers from the 1930s but apparently it does still serve a purpose. Do women get their shoes shined by other people, or is that somehting we are capable of ourselves? I've never understood why I haven't seen a business woman in an airport getting her Jimmy Choos shined.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

i forgot to say that i also like to use the shoeshine guys because i can accidentally kick them in the chin if i want to remind them that their place in life is lower than mine.

chortle, snort. i kill me.

my point was that i still haven't made the big sacrifice and seen Borat, but i promise i will. once a man commits to something important, he needs to follow thru. church and marriage don't count, but something like this does.

me go now.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home