Saturday, November 04, 2006

birthday party update

...I'm trying really hard not to fall into the "I have to be a perfect mom" trap. The problem is that I'd *like* to be really crafty, and I'd like to have really, really cool/memorable/splashy parties for the kids. But the other problem is that I'm not especially crafty.

(On a separate but related note, we went to such a cute birthday party last night: an indoor camp-out with hot dogs for the kids, tents set up, trail mix, cupcakes with "dirt" and "sticks." It was great--the kids had a ball, it was homegrown, and really cute. I was impressed.)

In conversations with both LCS and my sister-in-law (both of whom are great party-throwers totally fun ways) this week, they reminded me (patiently) that the point of birthday parties for small kids is not to cause stress for the parents. What would my kids enjoy most? Playing with their new Mountain State Town friends.

So on Friday, I did one swoop through the party store (which has lots of fun stuff for a hula party--SIL, maybe some year??) and got everything: a few simple treats for some very simple goody bags for the kids; plates/bowls/etc in primary colors; invitations. We'll invite about 12 kids and 15 adults for chili and salad next Sunday. I'll get balloons and a cake.

It'll be low-key and, I hope, really fun.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

It'll be great! And in all honesty, how many of your birthday parties do you remember? The only one I remember is when I received my coveted Michael Jackson glove. Made my moonwalk complete. :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Dim and Jana said...

Hey, RR didn't even have a second birthday party! I agree with Amy--how many of your parties do you remember? It is more about the people that come and the fuss about the birthday person!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

For all the coordinating items you can buy for a party, the kids would rather just play in the dirt. (; I'm just wishing we could be there!!! Have a great time, play pin the tail on the donkey, have a pinata and the tale is all told!!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy--I laughed out loud at the MJ glove. LCS can tell many a funny story about me from my MJ days...

And thanks for the fun thoughts. Yep, it's mostly about getting people together and having fun.

Wish you all could be here!

9:17 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

You are absolutely right! I have given up on stressing about the perfect party (finally I learned this with the 3rd kid - a little late) and really try to have fun, because that's what really matters after all. But I have to admit that I do still get jittery the hour before the party if the bathroom isn't clean (I'm weird)!

Your party sounds great, and chili ... yummy!

Carrie

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home