Monday, November 06, 2006

one moment in raising a daughter

#1 and I went clothes shopping this weekend. (Side note: believe me, while our daughter has at various points in her life had far too many clothes, right now she does not. Case in point: the last two weeks have been filled with morning struggles over getting her into appropriate clothes. Since all that was in her dresser were the lonely, stained, straggly remains from summer, she'd show up to school (after tears and wailing) in a t-shirt and skirt with bare legs. At 37 degrees, it's no suprise her preschool teacher was ready to report us to child protective services.)

She has very particular tastes in clothes, and in our shopping, she lit on some sparkly long-sleeved t-shirts with various sayings on them. While I absolutely refuse to get her t-shirts with obnoxious sayings like "the princess has spoken" and others along that line, she luckily picked out one that read, "my friends are awesome." While this isn't on my list of things I'd want to wear on a shirt, she is *in love* with this shirt.

This morning, she quietly took her coat off on the walk down the hall at school. She rubbed the sparkles and smiled to herself, repeating, "my friends are awesome. My shirt says 'my friends are awesome.'"

It made me happy--happy that thinking about her friends makes her happy, happy that she got dressed without tears, happy to have a sunny girl who likes people and is satisfied with long-sleeved t-shirts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

You may have noticed that *I* have a very similar shirt, one that says "You are my friend." I feel your daughter and I are kindred spirits.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, boy. Well, I'm glad you had a stress free morning! And the message is good. My friends are awesome, too. :)

1:01 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Oh, I hate those obnoxious shirts for girls (the worst is one that says "my brother did it"). Thankfully, my daughter is more concerned with her *tights* than she is with her shirts. But if she saw sparkles, oh I'd be in trouble!!!

Carrie

3:22 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

that was such a cute little picture of her saying quietly to herself, "my friends are awesome; my shirt says my friends are awesome." awwww. What a cutie.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

i love her!! could she be any cuter?!

9:47 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

so yesterday I'm picking up my two youngest kids from school when a girl walked by on her way home. She couldn't have been more than 8 yrs old...here's what her shirt said: "If you're cute, I'm single." I laughed out loud---and it wasn't a shirt she had borrowed from an older sister. Nope, it fit her just fine. Little girly, I sure hope you're still single for a good long while yet.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just what I mean, Jay Are!! So much of the little girl stuff now is just yukky: oversexualized, silly, sexist. Life's too much like that without wearing it on your shirt--and at almost-four, no less.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home