Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Things I can't imagine

The story of the missing San Francisco family in Oregon has been so much on my mind. I always wonder what it is about certain stories that capture us, and others that don't. The press conference had me in tears... and I'm not generally tearful about what is reported in the news, maybe because it just feels so far away. But the exhausted look of this sheriff, and the awful, hard work he and his staff must have gone through to come to the tragic ending just does me in. I think there's a lot of missing information, like why in a zillion years anyone would have taken a back road when there's snow on the ground, but that is all irrelevant now. Now, two girls won't have a daddy at their school plays. He won't coach their softball teams or take them to piano lessons. And their mom has her own losses as well as trying in some way to compensate for his absence.
How would you ever explain to your sweet babies what happened?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I cried too. I was so hoping for the best Christmas present that family could ever have. What a shame. It's so easy to second guess their choices now, but I'm not so sure I could just sit and watch my kids die, either. He, of course, had no way of knowing they'd be rescued.

I always wonder too, why some stories do this to us when people are dying every day. I don't know, but all I know is that I really feel incredibly sad...

2:34 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

This is so, so sad.

Carrie

3:56 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

I just left a post about this very same thing. Interesting how we can be so affected. I thought, too, about how sad that the dad never got to know that his family had been rescued and would possibly have spent his last hours torturing himself with thoughts that they were suffering and dying :(
What a sad sad story.

4:55 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

My husband told me what had happened and we both just were so sad....and then he said that he was angry at him. It kind of upset me, I mean the guy is gone and his family is alone. Finally, DH told me that he thought it was just because he identified with so closely with him and that our kids are the same age. DH was just mad that he didn't stay on the road.

But yes, what to do when hindsight is 20/20?

5:07 PM  
Blogger Shana said...

Joe and I were just reading about that too!!! So, so sad! It made us talk about keeping some emergency type things in the car when we go on our long trips! The poor poor family...

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home