Friday, December 15, 2006

Merry Holidays to all and to all a good night!

Am having blogger's block, I guess. Just not a lot to say. That and the fact that we are leaving for two weeks on two different trips complete with snow suits and presents, I haven't posted much as of late. But Before I am actually absent in body, I thought I'd wish you all a happy holidays.
I, like Carrie, adore this season. I like the twinkly lights, the great smelling kitchens, the excitement in my toddlers eyes when he sees Santa, candy canes, decorations and... the ballet. We didn't see the traditional Nutcracker in all its Sugar Plum glory. Instead, I opted to take him and the baby to a local production of The Snow Maiden. It was ballet at its homespun finest. Complete with 3-year old ballerinas dressed as reindeer (confused reindeer, but reindeer nonetheless), a very akward snowman (who, by the look on his face, was one of the girls' brother who got roped into this silly show), and (perhaps best of all) someone's dad playing Father Winter. I know it was someone's dad because he didn't have a lot of ballet-ic flair to his step and he was wearing Merrells instead of slippers. That, and I could see his sweat pants beneath his white pope-y robe. All in all, it was 30 minutes of good fun. Boy #1 *loved* it, since it was too short to be bored and so small he was about 6 inches from the newfallen styrofoam snow as well as the reindeer, which were his favorite part.
So the moral of the story is: If you're feeling a little out of sync with the jingles on the radio and the pleas for your money from department stores, check out your local ballet school. It just might bring back your love for Christmas. And truly nothing is more effectove in bringing a smile to your face than your local plumber spinning around on plastic snow.

8 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

You said it lady! I forgot about the Ballet school deal, but this year when I was feeling "Grinchy" I packed us up and we went to the Coburg light parade. It was small and towny, just what I like. Best of all, our #1 was so excited to see the public works vehicles and the motor homes (of course) decked out in lights. My favorite was some teen girl dressed her horse up in Glow sticks and necklaces. It looked so wonderful. I think that we will be off to the "living Nativity" next. Merry Christmas to your family, and safe travels!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

What a good idea! We'll have to check that out here. Though it would have been more fun to go with you!!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the low-key holiday stuff, and the images you have here are a hoot!!! I'm just not feeling real holiday-ey, and I'm glad you are feeling enough for two of us :)

Like Amy, though, it'd all be different if you were here...

11:33 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

sounds fun! maybe y'all should have your wee ones put on a ballet. Now, that's something I'd pay to see :)

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, jay are (have no idea why my earlier comment isn't visible, btw). where we used to live, a group of kids in a neighborhood did a play every year and it was a hoot!! now we just need to figure out how to do it long distance...

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never mind--now i see my comment. and i'm done commenting :) happy everything.

7:04 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

"...your local plumber spinning around on plastic snow". That is a great mental picture! That's why I like the season, when else are you going to see things like that? People putting it all out there to make a child smile. That's what it's all about!

Happy Holidays!

Carrie

1:38 AM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

that sounds so lovely!

hey, lcs...
will you please email me?
i won't bore you with computer problem excuses
but the fact is i lost your emsil...
so sad
& i really would like to 'talk' to you:)

have a wonderful christmas!
:)

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home