Friday, January 05, 2007

So... I guess I am turning into my mother after all.

After every family vacation, whether it was a long weekend at the beach or a week out of state, our mom would always say (promptly upon opening the front door), "Oh, it feels so good to be home!" At precisely the same time, I would roll my eyes and think, "My mom is such an old lady!! How could she be so excited about the same old boring life?" And then I grew up.
I'm proud to say after two and 1/2 weeks away from our little house, I'm truly glad glad glad to be home. It's weird, because I'm *not* a homebody in the least and a day where I go nowhere is a day that gets me one step closer to the loony bin. But as soon as the tires hit the driveway gravel, I felt like I could breathe again. Welcome home to me.
So a recap of our trip:
Week 1 was spent across the country with friends of mine from my time in graduate school. One couple I know relatively well is in the process of adopting and it was so heartwarming to think of them finally becoming the parents they've dreamed of becoming. We can't wait to hear of their new arrival. The highlight of the week was a wedding of an adopted brother of mine... (not officially adopted but he's been like my little brother ever since we met). I LOVE his new wife, and their ceremony was sweet, simple and brought tears to my eyes. They are one of those couples who just go together SO well. Their families mix nicely and it was so wonderful to be part of their beginning. Then it was off to a long plane ride... with the newlyweds!! We didn't realize it but we ended up on the same flight! They were so gracious, and even took the kids for some of the time. We'd offered to sit on the opposite side of the plane and not acknowledge them, but they wanted to be near us... It was a great way to say goodbye!
Week 2 was in the mountains with DH's family. Lots of junk food, football games and playing in the snow, which was super fun. We did our Christmas presents there, and had a good time with six crazy kids ripping paper and opening boxes! I've said it before, but I'm so thankful for wonderful inlaws who are my friends.
So now we are reaping the benefits of those opened boxes and Boy #1 is flatly refusing to come out of his room. (: Hope your days were merry and bright too.
So after this devastatingly exciting post, I'll

2 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Sounds like great fun!! Yes, I loke coming home too, although it was a thought I couldn't appreciate or even fathom until I had my own home, mine, not my parents. And yet I like going home to their home too...so with me you never know. I am too sleep deprived! Glad you're back. Happy New Year!

Carrie

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting, since I've been doing too much writing in other spaces and not enough here so far this year.

Welcome back, and blog on!!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home