Thursday, January 11, 2007

A financial lesson that isn't terribly entertaining.

So here's the world-famous Envelope Accounting System, designed and created by my friend Ingrid. She is one of those people who probably doesn't need it, because she's actually able to control her spending and isn't impulsive because she realizes the value of a dollar. That's why I'm sure she's actually from another planet. That and the fact that she balances her checkbook. Every month. (Is that even legal?)
I spent a few evenings with her working out a personal budget and plan because DH and I felt like we had no idea where our money went but, alas, it was gone.
The first thing we did is figure out how much we earned per hour. You take your net wages (so what REALLY goes in the bank, after your contributions to your 401K, Uncle Sam, etc.) and divide them by 24 hrs. (A novel idea, because really, who cares how much you earn in 8 hours if you live for 24?) I think ours worked out to something like $3.00 an hour (or maybe it was .30.) Then when you go impulse-buy that shirt for $30.00, ask yourself whether you'd want to work for 10 hours for it. Maybe, maybe not. But at least you have a better appreciation for it.
And a few rules help keep your brain in the game.
Rule #1: The ATM is not your friend. It gives the impression that money grows on trees. And it's a theif. For example, if on vacation you decide to use Bank of Canada's ATM since you don't know where the Santa Fe Knothead National Bank is, expect to lose major cash. That $40 you get out probably cost you upwards of $45. Bank of Canada charges $2.50 (let's say) and SFKNB charges an additional $2.50. So you're losing ground.
Rule #2: Use cash whenever you can. It hurts more. You will spend less.
Then you begin Envelope Accounting. Here's a step-by-step guide:
1. Get a stack of envelopes and title each one into expenses. This includes different categories. Ours were: Groceries, Vacation savings, Clothing, Gifts, Auto Maintenance, Gas, Fun household (wall pictures, dishes, pillows, etc), Entertainment (incl. eating out), Auto misc (car washes, etc.), Education (incl. classes, software for computer, etc.), and Vitamins and medications (this is esp. good to separate out if you ahve a medical savings account with your work). I think my sister does a more simplified envelope system involving only about four envelopes, which works too, but I'll get to this first.
2. Take the amount of pay you receive per 2 wks or month or whatever. Take out what you pay for bills and house and car payments. What's left is going into envelopes. So say you have $600 left over.
3. Go to the bank. Inside, where the humans are. (Remember Rule #1.) Each pay period, I would go to the bank and take out our cash in specific bills. We had allotted $300 for groceries, $75 for entertainment, $25 for gifts, etc., and put those exact amounts in the appropriate envelopes. (When I went to the bank, I'd get X# of $50s, $20s, $10s and $5s, etc., so I wasn't trying to remember that groceries owed gifts $5, because then it messes up the whole point.)
4. Put the cash in the appropriate envelope and spend accordingly throughout the week. My sister is quite good at this part. If there's only $5 in the grocery envelope and they don't get paid for a few days, it's leftovers and cereal at their house. (Let's hope you aren't visiting them at the tail-end of a pay period!) If you want, you can borrow from envelopes, but beware...
5. Some envelopes like Vacation and Auto maintenance would start adding up and I would eventually put those into our bank account because I wasn't crazy about having $800 in cash in my house, but I would have a paper tally of what was for what. Here's the main point though. If you're at the grocery store and don't have enough bread for your bread, borrow from something else if you must, or... put something back. When you figure you are stealing from your vacation fund, your weekly need for Brie might be reduced.
6. (Optional, but keep reading) My friend set me up on Quicken and my husband and I kept track of our cash transactions. It was amazing how much money we spent on unexpected items. Like gifts, for example. We had allotted $25 per pay period for saving for gifts. That amounts to $650.00 annually, which sounds like a reasonable amount to spend. With the 20 people in our immediate families, that works out to $32.50 per person including the card. And that doesn't count a single shower, wedding, etc. You'd be shocked at how much trivial things start to add up. But I say it's optional because it's a bit time consuming. I had a hard time keeping up with receipts and with things that don't give your receipts like the farmer's market, etc. It's good to do because we had no idea where the money was going, but now I just do it in random 1 or 2 month periods because I can't stay ahead of the receipt pile. (I know, Ingrid, this is probably the most important part. Comment, please!) At least now, it's not quite so vague who gets our dough.
That's really all there is to it. It's called living within your means and it is hard. I don't know how our grandparents did it, since they didn't have credit card offers in the mail every day. But they did do it, and so can we.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

My mom did this for years, and it worked great for her. I did it when I was single and couldn't balance my checkbook to save my life. Then I married a guy who is FANTASTIC in the financial department and now I just think "what would Tom do?" every time I want to buy something!!! :)

Re: ATM charges. There ARE banks, believe it or not, who don't charge or refund the charges. We bank with E-Trade, who will REFUND ALL ATM CHARGES up to 20 per month, or something like that. So if you DO decide to use an ATM, all the fees get refunded!! My husband staunchly REFUSES to pay any ATM charges whatsoever, and we have banked at some obscure places over the years to get away from them!

2:30 PM  
Blogger jay aitch said...

Wonderful! Beats using a store bought ledger and writing every cent spent down at the end of the day like I used to do!

11:55 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Maybe I'll print this out and tape it to my forehead in order to absorb all it's information via osmosis!!!

Sounds like a good plan.

Carrie

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. I didn't mention how humbling it is to pull out a ratty envelope in line at the grocery store and hope beyond hope that you calculated correctly and you have enough. Funny that actually using money carefully feels embarrassing somehow, where whipping out a debit card never would...

A LCS says, we do the envelopes pretty loosely now after doing them more stringently for a while. But doing them strictly for a year really helped us get a far better handle on what we were spending. We now "share" between envelopes fairly freely (ie, nothing left in "household" but need diapers? Take from "travel.") Our envelopes are:
Groceries
Entertainment
Personal/Household (basically, what we buy at Target but not groceries)
Travel
Life Insurance (because we pay this one once a year--so we 'deposit' cash into the envelope each time and then take it to savings when it gets too big).
Gas: we originally had this as an envelope but did away with it pretty quickly (nothing like 2 kids in the car, in freezing MI sleet, and needing to go in to pay w/cash)--instead, we're pretty comfortable w/the fact that we don't make too many frivolous gas runs and we budget/target it, but we pay with one credit card and make sure that we're within monthly goals.

So that's what we do. So besides gas, we now also budget for Costco and Frivolities Paid With Credit Card -- but we don't take cash out for these; we just figure them into our two-week budgeting plan (it seemed like we somehow always spent more at Costco, and that we always had a few times we were stuck without the envelopes.

More info than you ever wanted...

5:42 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

Thanks guys....

I think that a parental family meeting is in order. Great info!

5:50 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

Is there any financial lesson that IS entertaining? that's what I'm wondering...
We did this for awhile and it definitely has its benefits. One of the downsides (maybe the only one?) is that it's hard to track where you're spending the money (except in the most general sense--groceries, etc). Otherwise, it's definitely a good way to go.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, Jay Are--I think that you're supposed to keep all receipts and then enter them into Quicken according to what you _actually_ spent it on (ie, Target, but 35 was Household and 10 was groceries)--but we never manage that step. Ah well.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I agree, Jay Are, that is the most important thing... which, like profff said, it's a matter of keeping receipts and entering them into Quicken. Regardless of how someone spends their $, I think it's a great idea to do, at least to force yourself to do for a while, because it is SHOCKING where your money goes... We kind of do it sporadically now, just when we realize we have no money and don't know what we've been doing.

1:38 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

why oh why must you read my brain so well?
must be all of the years of notes in class
& matching coca cola shirts...
we need this!
thank you!

3:27 PM  
Blogger KJack said...

Oh this all just sounds too evil, do I really want to know that I spend 3.50 a day at Starbucks or the really poopy fact that diapers are $12-15 dollar habit? Though I would like to know how to better handle my finances, I don't think I'm ready ....yet. K

3:51 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

oh- Amen Sisters!

The cash rule has been a good one- and yes, often tough in the grocery store. Tho I admit to kind of liking the in the head running calendar game.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ok make sure this doesn't accidentally get deleted... The minute we land in our new area we are doing this and will need the how to.
Thanks so much for sharing! I'd kind of heard of this but am glad for the detailed lesson.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Thanks for all your comments people! The hilarious thing is that for all the thanking you've done for this post, I'm ashamed to say, I'm not exactly practicing what I post. (oops, was that a bit of reality sneaking in??!)

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home