Tuesday, January 09, 2007

one problem we've mostly solved, and one we haven't

mostly solved:
Despite the five college degrees between us, it took DH and me 13 years of married life to figure out one simple economic principle:

you should try to spend only what you actually have.

Which means, of course, not putting a few hundred (or thousand) on the credit card and then paying it off within a few months.

We learned a budgeting system based on cash and envelopes from LCS and her DH (who learned it from someone else), and it's so simple that it's embarrassing: take out cash for a particular time frame (in our case, two weeks); look at how much you have left _before_ you buy; and try to spend carefully so that you make it through the two weeks. It really cramps my style in obnoxious ways -- I can no longer spend guilt-free on the credit card, thinking, 'surely we must make enough to cover these inexpensive clothes that I'm buying on sale.' I must say, it really stinks to live within your means.

the one we haven't:
I'm thinking about money and how we do or don't spend it right now because the kids and I just had (should I admit this? I'll probably get reported to the bad mother bureau) quesadillas, pasta, and peas for dinner. The envelopes are running pretty dry, but not that dry; we do have money for groceries. (Just not warm coats. Or gloves. Just kidding, mom!). However, we seem to have a problem with "should have gone grocery shopping two days ago" disease around here. We generally *don't* prefer to go solo w/our darling, perfect children right now (who want to either both be in the back of the cart. or both insist on pushing the cart, under my/dh's legs. or both want to explore the hinterlands of Winco at their leisure.) So, we'll say, "oh, I'll go tonight after dinner." -- And then that night will come, and it'll be dark out (as nights generally are), and sometimes cold, and we'll blog around or you tube 4 minute segments of _Whose Line is it Anyway_ or read books or plan our kitchen remodel or stand on the threshold, admiring our darling, perfect, sleeping children, and groceries don't get bought.

At least I always blog about significant cultural, societal, and moral issues....

6 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I can totally relate to the Quesadilla and peas dinners....but we have been mixing it up with frozen corn....OLE'

I am intrigued by the envelope money thing....much more tangible than the old debit card, it could be just what I need for the new year.....now, I will just have to go and buy some envelopes....hee hee
Thanks!!

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jmbmommy, maybe lcs can let you know the specifics--it's a tough-but-good process.

Day-to-day I mostly hate it because it's made me aware of impulse buying. But overall it's really rewarding to actually save modest amounts of money, etc.

6:07 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Making me more aware of my impulse buying would definitely be a good thing. I'd love to hear more about it, girls!!!

In the meantime, at least you gave your kids their veggies (frozen or not)! That is more than most people!!!

Carrie

12:06 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Did you read last year that study they did which revealed most children (like 75% or so) below the age of 8 get only one veggie on a regular basis... in the form of french fries. Ick. So kudos to you for tossing them in.. and for using what's already in the cupboard. I'm terrible at that. And, due to popular demand, shall I post about the envelopes system?

4:35 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

OH yes!!!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, lcs, do the full envelope system "rules." we're pretty lax (we don't do the step of rebudgeting/refiguring based on what we're actually spending), but the mostly-cash-only works pretty well for us...

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home