Saturday, January 27, 2007

And she can turn pages too, folks!

So that none of you doubt my continued ability to read, may I impart upon you a few book reviews. You may have noticed that my book reviews differ from those of, say, the New York Times or other astute publications. For one, I don't read the latest books from the hippest authors. That is because my opportunity to locate reading material for the week comes before story time at our local library. I have approximately .3 minutes before the two kids completely lose their patience and would rather fall on the floor screaming than allow me to follow my literary dreams. But now and then in my haste to find a book that looks good (and yes, I've judged many a book by its cover), I discover a good one that I can't put down.
Today I bring you three. Really, just two and one with a perfect quote.
On the more serious side, I succombed in to my historical novel hunger by reading *Pope Joan* by Donna Wolcroft Somethingelse. GREAT read. If you like Phillipa Gregory, you'll love this book. It's set in the year 800 AD, the darkest of the Dark Ages, not exactly tea and crumpets for the average Jane. The story is historically based, but her research was limited to the poor record keeping of the time. The author had to make a lot of suppositions based on half-truths told in Church records, etc., but the story is not written out of the fabric of her imagination. Starting with her childhood, it tells of the life of a girl named Joan who is smart at a time when women aren't allowed to be smart. Or literate. She has a fascinating mother, a you-just-want-to-kill-him-he's-so-awful dad and other colorful people in her life. I don't want to ruin anything for you so I'll just say this. I could not put this book down. (As a side note: I can't imagine not being allowed to read. I really don't know how I would survive.)
And a lighter selection after you've read *Pope Joan* and are thoroughly disgusted with the way women were treated... *Chasing James* by Sarah Mason. It's funny, silly and a has a great ending. I'd pretty much say it screams I AM CHICK LIT at the top of its voice but if you pick it up expecting that, you'll be swooning over this book. There's really nothing more to say about it. Fun and fluffy, and I'll read more from this chick.
I have known of Gish Jen for a long time. Seen her novels all over the place, but only now read *The Love Wife*. LOVED it. She is not Amy Tan's younger sister, and any comparison would be based entirely on their Asian-ness. (An aside: I'm just realizing the lack of Asian mainstream novelists (mainstream = not only read in college lit courses) out there. Is it just me?) They couldn't be more different. Whereas Tan uses Asian mythology and imagery to enrich her works (which I love), this particular book has none of that. It's more direct about the impact of many kinds of relationships on us without being too what's-going-on-in-my-heart-y and mushy. My all-time favorite quote (at least for now) lies in this book. The mother of the family is thinking about these huge sunflower plants that came up randomly in their lawn and how much she enjoys them, but wonders how a relative that's coming to visit will think of them. "Yet if I could add a word to our language, it would be a word for this: the peace a grown woman feels on the days-the rare days- when she needs to consider no view but her own." I think that is delicious.
So there, a few more pages for you to contemplate. Pass on your suggestions, since I just read myself out of mine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shana said...

Love your book reviews... Makes me want to read the Joan book as soon as I get a chance!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have seen the Love Wife many times and not known much about it. I wanted to add it to my list based sheerly on the cover. Now I have a review to justify it!!!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love your book reviews too, keep it up. Now I'll have a nice list once I can go back to reading after this dumb move is over. Another one I want to read that someone was telling me about the other day- Madelaine Albright's autobiography. Maybe you've read it already as I don't think its especially new. But we were talking about reinventing ourselves after we raised our kids and apparently thats what she did. Raised 3 kids then went on to be Sec. of State! I don't know if I'll aim quite that high but its still inspirational. :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

That is a great quote. Other than the glorious "I Like You" by Amy Sedaris (if you like that sort of thing), my most recent good reads were both by Jodi Piccoult: Keeping Faith and My Sister's Keeper - you might identify with the later since you have a sis! Both were good, easy good, not earth-shattering philosophical good. And the Amy Sedaris was just for fun!

Carrie

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home