Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Grace is my middle name

To prime your brain for this story, first there's this joke:

A grandson is visiting his blind grandma in a nursing home. While they're chatting, he surreptitiously eats all of the peanuts from the bowl beside her bed. Once they're done talking, he admits what he's done to granny. She replies: "Oh, that's okay son, those are the peanuts that I've sucked all of the chocolate off of!"

Okay. So, on Saturday night, I'm at a social occasion at my colleague's house. I walk into the living room where folks are sitting around a few appetizer trays; my eyes light on a bowl of snow peas. "Yum!" I think, "I love eating those! And how nice to have bowls of them sitting around!" So I grab one and sit down. The snow pea, though, disappoints. As I chew, and chew, and chew on what turns out to be an extremely stringy bean, I tell myself to be polite and swallow it down. Inside, I recoil a bit snobbily from what surely must be cheap Winco beans. How embarrassing, I think, that the hosts served these stale, cheap beans. I continue chewing, swallow, and decide to stick to the Thai toasts.

Then, I look up and notice two things:
1. people are splitting open the peas, which means that they are *edamame* and not stale snow peas.
2. there are large bowls filled with fresh edamame and small ones filled with...chewed-open edamame shells.

So, yes: not only did I *eat* an entire edamame, pod and all, I ate an already-chewed-on-by-someone-else edamame.

That's one way to make a classy impression.

13 Comments:

Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

That is completely so funny! Even worth posting three times about!! (; Actually, that is one thing about growing up, is the ability to LAUGH at yourself!!

9:50 PM  
Blogger amydee said...

I would never do anything like that!!! Post it, I mean : )

12:02 AM  
Blogger prrrof said...

You know, I told the story last night and someone said, 'wow, that's brave of you to tell it.' The story is just too funny not to tell! And maybe, like LCS says, I've grown up enough that instead of being completely and totally mortified and humiliated, I'm only just mortified--and totally amused.

6:34 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

that is hilarious!! (cuz it was you and not me :)) Thanks for sharing. I'll remember to always keep a look-out for said appetizers.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this! Its given me the giggles several different times today even when I wasn't at the computer. That is sooooo something that would happen to me. I am thankful however, that it was you. Have you talked to anyone that was there about it since?

2:02 PM  
Blogger Didge said...

Oh what a perfect way to start my day, I laughed until I cried. No gagging episodes while trying to get it down? To level with you, I wouldn't know one if it appeared at my next party either. Good thing you didn't make any loud comments on how hard it was to chew this thing!

12:22 AM  
Blogger prrrof said...

amy: yes--it was just too funny to keep to myself. On Monday am, when my very classy colleague (who'd hosted the par-tay) came in, I told him about it and we died laughing. Of course I was sure that *everyone* there knew (and I actually did think he'd seen, as he moved the bowl away from me--which was unintentional, but I didn't think so at the time).
swissmiss: yeah, I'd never actually eaten edamame that way, but I did know they were like that. And duh--who would set out a few random bowls of peas anyway??? Oh well...

12:27 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

thank you SO SO SO much for the fun!

6:26 PM  
Blogger si said...

okay, this has made me comment for the 1st time (i think; wasn't able to for a long time because only bloggers were allowed -- but i see now, when i've gotten a "blog", you're now "non-discriminating"!) :-)

this was hysterical, and i have to admit, i saw the punch line coming -- with the popularity of edamame, i know those bowls for the edamame-shell-remains can be pretty darn tricky.

i've enjoyed both of your posts very much (came via jay are/bryan). sorry for the lurking.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

yay! we love this story.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

PS. Before I read this post, I wouldn't have known an edamame if it bit me. So I probably would have done the exact same thing. (Not that making the same mistakes as me should make anyone feel better...)

2:20 PM  
Blogger LindaJ said...

EEEWWWW!!!Funny, but EEEWWW!!!

2:46 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Yikes!

Carrie

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home