Sunday, July 30, 2006

Consumption

I've recently read two pretty interesting books: _Affluenza_, about the enormous, obscene amounts Americans consume, and _Mountains Beyond Mountains_, a biography-type book about Dr. Paul Farmer, a doctor whose work in Haiti basically points out the enormous, obscene amounts of money Americans waste that could save millions of Haitian lives. The first book is not so great, I don't think (it reads like the "based on a PBS special" book that it is and doesn't give a lot of new ideas ). This second book, though, is really, really troubling and absorbing. Read it, you all, and tell me what you think. Farmer sounds like a really complex, interesting guy, and the point of his life's work is that medicine _is_ political and that to you can't only treat the illness (TB, for example, in Haiti) without also treating the causes: poor water supply, inadequate food, and so on). It's a book that helps me continue to reflect on the US's role in foreign affairs and how our tax dollars do, in fact, affect real lives in real places.

These thoughts were tumbling around in my head yesterday as we drove around looking for houses. I have this problem--perhaps it's American, perhaps it's middle-class, I don't know. I want a simple house, and yet I want enough space for my two kids and frequent visitors. I'd like a small yard--doesn't have to be a lot. We *love* this community and the idea behind it--Hidden Springs--but to get into it, we'd basically have super-duper high house payments and no money for the furniture we'd need for this kind of cool house. But oh, the neighborhood: it's still just a middle-class thing, and it feels a bit "disney-fied" since it's so new--but the houses are each pretty different from each other and have the kinds of details missing in so many of the other housing developments in our price range: cool front doors, interesting porches, garages in the back, a common garden, a pool you can walk to, etc. So, on the one hand, I think this kind of housing development is trying to be better than the average one. And yet, it's pretty expensive--that is, despite their talk of wanting a mix of incomes, you're not going to find a lot of lower-income folks able to make a mortgage on a $350,00+ place--and it's out of the city, so folks will do a lot of driving into work.

So I was feeling sorry for myself last night that we found a cool spot and very likely might not be able to live there. And then I remembered that I'm looking at houses whose garages are twice as big as the average Haitian's house.

And I tried, really hard, to not feel the "how can everyone else afford it but we can't" feeling. That's my one goal for this week: to be content with what we can afford; to make a life wherever we are; to be overwhelmingly in awe of the excessive riches of this country that I benefit from.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

wow, it does look like a cool place. I'm notoriously bad at being content, so probably don't look to me for inspiration. BUT, I'm really inspired by your desire to be out of the mainstream consuming public!! Does that help???? :) Welcome back!!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Yay, you're back! Drool at that cool community. You're right, it's hard not to get caught up in what we want.... and then again, I truly believe our wants just can't be satisfied (which is why our neighbors have an 8100 sq ft house and a 2500 sq ft pool house. Yep, POOL house. Bigger than what we manage to RESIDE in FULL TIME.) Great post, and I agree, when we look around the world, we do have it not just easy, but GREAT. We don't have to wait in line for our bags of UN-supplied wheat or rice (or whatever it is people get from them). And we were reminded by some visitors to our house this week that having a HOME is what is important, not just having a HOUSE. I really think you have to weigh what's important, and if it's a hefty house payment, is it worth it? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but think about it. THis is why I HATED house hunting in the Saint Joseph... even ugly was out of our price range... feel your pain, but hang in there!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi, I am a frequent reader of your blog who lives near Hidden Springs. It is also a dream of mine to live there, I love the small community, everybody knows everybody, feel. And of course the houses!!!!
I recently posted a similar blog about not being able to afford pottery barn stuff and feeling sorry for myself. Then I realized I already had stuff that looked "pottery barn" so I simplified and pottery barned my house, one room at a time.
Thanks for the reminder to be content, there are so many with so much less. We are trully blessed.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home