Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Traveling

Someone we know well is on a trip across the US right now--five weeks, two young European guys. They're seeing more of this country than I've ever seen...and yes, a teeny, tiny part of me felt old and settled as I watched them pull away Monday morning.

Then, I stumbled on this on another blog:
http://douweosinga.com/projects/visitedstates

(Hmm. I'm a techno loser: why can't I copy-and-paste the code on this page into this one? I tried to add in my map here but it didn't work. Can anyone tell me why?)

I've visited 41% of the states. This actually looks more impressive than it is--for many of these states, I've been to the major city for a conference or we traveled through it on our blitz-move out here. That's not *really* visiting a state, is it?

Sigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

I'm not sure if that technically qualifies as "visiting" the state :) but it definitely means you've BEEN there....and that must count for something...
One of my goals is to someday drive my way, slowly and with great pleasure, through the states---visiting all the forgotten little towns that warm the cockles of my heart. That would be the greatest.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I hate when I feel so settled about my life and happy with it, and then I see someone do something like move to England or drive across the country without a care in the world and all of a sudden my life seems as settled as a 150 year old farm house. Mostly I hate it because it just means that somehow I can become discontent in a heartbeat. I think that's the other yay-ness about you guys being here, you can take trips that don't always involve the two states that your families live in! hip hip hooray! Maybe we could do a joint family car trip to eastern Prarie State some day! (: haha.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home