Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Sound of Silence

A few years ago, a friend of mine (who had kids, I still had none at the time) told me he loved to drive in the car with no music or radio station on, and at the time, I thought him nutty. I get it now. Our CD player in the car isn't working, so it's either a radio station or nothing. Today I drove through an area where nothing really comes in, and I turned the radio off without thinking, and for probably the first time in history, enjoyed the silence. Toddler Boy was sleeping, and it was just me for adult company, and I just couldn't believe it. Woah. An hour of no sound except the road under my tires. What a relief it was, really. Maybe it's because the brain waves are starting to really slow down these days. I don't think I even thought during my quiet hour. It was almost like a nap. Almost. But not quite.

1 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

as much as I enjoy listening to various and sundry music and talk radio (and I guess I must be old now; that's what that means, right?), one of my most favorite things is just quiet in the car. I never miss the sound of ANYthing. Sometimes I'll go many days in a row and never turn the radio/CD/tape on. Awww. It's lovely, ain't it?

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home