Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A slacking blogger returns...

...and vows to do better in the coming days.

It's been a little hectic (okay, downright "I have so much to do I can't breathe" kind of hectic) in our tiny corner of the universe.

As our vast readership now knows, offspring #4 (of the two of us combined! Sheesh! Give us time...) came into the world on Valentine's Day. LCS seems to be doing quite well--no stress on her end, either--let's see: husband takes new job; family moves to new area; family buys a house and moves into it on *Saturday*; baby comes on Tuesday. No problem! Refrigerators--who needs them? :)

While I'd love to be out there entertaining #1 son, holding #2, and lining up bon bons for my sister, I'm stuck out here, knowing that many, many other people get to put their hands on him before I do. Sniff. Which kinda leads to my next point:

We're moving this summer!! We've *loved* it here in the middle west, although the winters do get chilly and the landscape's a bit flat. We've just very much *not loved* being a long plane ride (or two, usually) from family. It stinks, basically. And, as the kids get older, it gets trickier and trickier to fly. So, we'd agreed this fall to start looking slowly and deliberately at the job market--getting a job works somewhat differently in academics, which I can explain in another long boring post someday. But anyway, I interviewed in ...let's see, Mountain West State...in January, was offered the job, and we finally made it through a few weeks of negotiating. So, we're on our way west. Yippee! I simply can't wait to be a day's driving distance from family.

So now we're on to the busy-ness of finding a realtor (anything specific we should look for, anyone?) and touching up things around the house, and so on. We're happy to report that we'll likely be keeping our record going of always selling our houses in a buyer's market. Our previous Western City house *doubled* in the four years after we'd sold, while barely covering our costs in the 5 years we owned it. Ah well.

Hopefully some more consistent posting is in my future...

6 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

YAY!! I knew it!! So exciting for you guys!

And I can't wait to see #2 my own self....

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited for us too! And nervous, and all of that stuff...

And when you see #2, give him extra kisses for me...

5:05 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

re realtors, don't forget what their motivation is. while i'm sure the vast majority are ethical and have their clients' best interests at heart, the thing that works best for them is to make a quick sale. if you sell the first day the house goes on the market, maybe you priced it too low. but if you're the realtor, that's not quite such a big tragedy, is it?

not saying don't use a realtor, but it seemeth good unto me to remember that what's good for you and what's good for your realtor arent' always exactly the same thing.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

oh, also:
i'd love it if you tried out one of the fixed-price realty services and LMK how it goes for you. thanks in advance.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know...much of what realtors do you *can* do yourself (ie, figuring out how to fix up the house, etc) but it's still the marketing/advertising they have that makes it hard to go it alone. This time, we've vowed to be smart and actually interview/meet with a few realtors before choosing one. Updates to follow...

5:19 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

On the other hand, don't even attempt to tell me you're going to buy and sell by yourselves, with all the other things you have to do! Eeps! Moving... I'll be so glad you 'll be closer, but the process is sure a bummer!!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home