Monday, February 20, 2006

Wonder of wonders...

It's just amazing (and yes, a bit sappy) how they steal your heart from the minute they arrive. For nine months, we only wanted the best for the growing baby, and I thought I was connected to (what turned out to be) him... but then he's born, and it's a connection and a love on a whole new level.
Everything went well, but after he was born, there was concern about his breathing so he went to the NICU for observation. All I can say is, there is no sweetness in parting... not sweet sorrow, not sweet anything. It was the most un-scary thing to happen in many ways, everyone was very calm, no one was running all around or getting crazy about him. But all I could think was that he was alone in that incubator, no one could hold him, I couldn't offer him comfort or fix what was wrong (which turned out to be nothing, but could have been something). It broke my heart that I had to be separated for his first hours in this world... and I knew (intellectually anyway) that everything was going to be fine. I have new respect for people who have to say goodbye to their babies for many days in the NICU because that would just about rip my heart out... it's one of those things, even though you know it's for the best, it's just scary and sad and not how you'd hope it to go. Anyway, needless to say our sweet #2 is amazing. He's perfectly formed, and perfectly alive, healthy and safe. Sigh. Makes me feel full to overflowing.

1 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :)
So happy to hear that all has turned out well. I can well imagine (though not totally, I know) how terrible it would be to have baby whisked away. So glad it was nothing....
And so glad he's here! Can't wait to see him. I bet #1 is a pretty proud brother....
Hope you're taking care of you, too.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home