Friday, March 31, 2006

I quit. (not the blog, don't worry everyone)

I just quit reading a book. Before finishing it. AND (this is the real kicker!) it was by Margaret George, who I adore. I started this one with some doubts, and for only the 2nd time in my life, I said to myself, "Self, you were right. This isn't worth reading." Not that it was written any differently than her others, but it was just... weird. It's her book about Mary Magdalene called *Mary Called Magdalene* (clever, no?). I thought I would like the more story-book take on Mary's life, but it was too weird. It's odd to read sacred stories in a novel when there are certain things we know she had to make up (different personality traits or comments of famous people like, say, Jesus). I remember learning about fiction vs. non-fiction in school and the idea of a historical work quoting conversations that were the author's best guess. (For example David McCoullough couldn't know that Thomas Jefferson said, "Hey, there, Mom, can we have roast beef for dinner" although he has to put that in the book to make it readable.) Maybe I can't read novel-remakes of Biblical events at all. I don't think it was Ms. George's lack of capability because I LOVE her other works. Anyone else read this?

2 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

haven't read it and don't plan to because I also do NOT like to read fictionalized versions of Bible accounts. Not saying that they're all bad or unreadable but it just isn't my thing.
I'll have to try some of her other stuff, tho! Yay. A new author to check out!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I'm surprised you haven't read her... she writes a hefty tome, but a good one... Mary queen of scotland and her isles is probably my favorite... Anyway, yes, I've decided to write off all novelized Bible stories from now on... If a good author can't pull it off, who can?!

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home