Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Life after holidays

So, to play catch-up...
  • Our holidays were nice, filled with family (his and mine, minus prrrof since they are galavanting about Switzerland). Unfortunately, DH's grandpa died a few days before Christmas which was sad for us, but I have to say, I don't know if I've ever known anyone ready-er than he was. At 95 yrs old, he was tired and his old body didn't allow him to do many of the things he once loved. Most of his friends and peers are gone, of course, so there aren't that many around to remember with him. But he loved his kids, his grandkids, his great-grandkids and his great-great-grandkids. He never got old and sour, at least that I saw. We'll miss him.
  • After torrential rainfall (and as a former Pacific Northwesterner, my use of "torrential" is highly qualified), our playroom got somewhat flooded. DH has fixed and is still fixing it, thankfully, but we're moved out of that space for a few more days. Which meant toys that used to be in that room are now spread out over our 1200 square feet, added to which is the new Christmas loot. Yikes. I take some comfort in knowing whoever decides to break into our house will surely break bones trying to navigate around the Lincoln Logs, hotwheels, train tracks and other things. And it would be a real disappointment to subsequently find out that they are the most valuable things in the house.
  • Boy #1 has very odd hearing capabilities. I was shouting at him from one room away that dinner was ready and his reply five minutes later was "I couldn't hear you". My husband suggested I pick up a certain treat for the boys on my way home from an errand and this same boy, who was playing on the other side of the house, heard him.
  • News media annoys me. After Hillary Clinton's (note to reader: I'm not saying you should or shouldn't like her or vote for her or campaign for her, this is just a point of interest I'm kindly sharing with you) loss in Iowa, they declared her campaign as "floundering" and then after New Hampshire, she's once again "the front runner". That was quick. How can any campaign flounder after losing Iowa when there are approximately 49 more states to go (depending on whether one is counting Michigan and Florida because of their pushing up their primary dates and the DNC saying now they won't count, which I don't understand, but anyway.)? I just wish there were no 24 hour news channels because they have to make up news just to have something interesting to say.
  • My new pet peeve (which is quite petty, compared to greater social ills, but is my pet peeve of the day nonetheless): Mispronouncing common words in common ways. Like the guy at the car repair shop who was making an appointment for "Mondee, or Tuesdee if that works for you." Erk. "DAY!," I wanted to scream, "Mon-DAY!!" It's like saying nekkid or crik when the words are clearly phonetically driven to be pronounced naked (no short e sound comes from a) or creek (no short i sound comes fro 'ee'). Stop the madness and start reading people.
  • I had a long phone conversation with a friend from our old town, and may I say it was just what I needed. Thanks, M! There's nothing like catching up with an old friend and remembering just why she's so great and why you want to stay in touch. It was almost as good as a night of Mexican food and then listening to David Sedaris...

Since nothing else of interest is going on in my life, I'll think about posting a picture or two in the next few days. How's that for committment.

8 Comments:

Blogger All American Family said...

So glad you're back to posting! Sorry about the loss of your Grandfather-in-law. Happy 2008!

9:48 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i laughed out loud with the 'mondee'
oh dear
i have a relative who shall remain nameless
who insists on calling the morning meal
'breafast'
(breakfast without the k)
whatever...just don't teach that crazy word to my kids...

& i'm glad that you had a jc catch up with a friend
i hope i will be that friend someday soon:)

love you, super star
i mean hustla...
:)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Mrs.Kate.W said...

I also laughed at Mondee...I work in a winery a few days a month and it is great fun to hear the mis pronounced wine names and region names. We all have to love Willametty and Oreegon.

My fave is people who say beg instead of bag. or Warsh cloth...AUGH!!!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

With you there, ttu!
emilyruth, I'd love to have that phone conv. with you too! It was a former co-worker of mine from SJ that is now a great friend that I did get to connect with, which was fab. As is she.
(working backwards!) Thanks, kristen! glad you're visiting!

6:55 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Mispronunciation drives me nuts too -- as does torrential rain (and I know you mean business when you say that)!

11:07 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

my other comment is lost...boohoo...I bet it was witty and droll...as I am you know, but me mommee brain forgets and then we just have what we have. Likee what you rote.
Thankee much!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Darci - here goes. . . my first blog! Hopefully you get this before you start your blog vacation! Very belated thanks for my blog name, as well as for the conversation on the phone and at dinner last week!

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Third try. . . . I have to make it work with my new name showing. . .

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home