Sunday, August 06, 2006

Throw me some cash and I'll show up

Did you hear?

Paris Hilton, who is famous for doing absolutely nothing, says she really understands what life was like for Princess Diana. (Oh, except for the part about bringing attention to landmines, AIDS and the plight of third-world countries. But I digress.) Paris knows the struggle of living a life running from the paparazzi. Apparently, it's just so hard. You see, poor Paris has to show up at parties all over the world, and guess what? Poor thing, she gets paid to be there. And we're talking $500K for an appearance. She recently had an appearance in Austria where she had to tell all the adoring fans why she loves Austria. Got a cool million for that. Maybe they included travel expenses. (And what did she love about Austria, you wonder? That she got a million bucks for being there, of course. That is a quote.)

Before my eyes got stuck rolled back in my head, I was going to write an eloquent post about the difficulties of a life that does NOT include $500,000 appearances. But I think (just a hunch) that anyone reading this probably can appreciate those difficulties so I won't go into it. So I'm starting my Gratefulness Campaign. I have so much to be thankful for. A husband who cares about his family, two great kids who are not going to run around thinking that everyone has a six-digit salary, and a roof over my head. And that's just a start. When I start to feel sorry for myself I'm going to remember that even Paris Hilton goes shopping. That's evidence that in her glorious universe, even she has the need for more stuff. The life I lead has so many priceless people and attributes that all the money in the world won't buy and I'm going to start, right now, to be glad for that.

(But you should read this article: http://www.housingca.org/2006/07/17/rcac-issues-top-10-list-of-workers-who-cant-afford-a-home-in-california/).

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ok, for the record, I feel bad for ALL those people who can't afford houses. But, FIREFIGHTERS, POLICE and TEACHERS??? It really makes me sick how our society undervalues those people who contribute the most. Meanwhile, Paris Hilton lives in a mansion. I just don't get it.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Mrs.Kate.W said...

I love this...if there was a celebrity in the world I could do without she is the one!

I am thankful for Family, my soon to be Husband, a job I like and a roof or two to sleep under every night!

5:20 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I can't stop my head from rubber-necking at the magazine covers in the grocery store. I can usually read one, when on vacation, but if I try for two, the rage starts. It is not a pretty thing, but I start to get irritated that there is famine and children dying for no reason other than geographic undesirability and I am sitting there reading about the perks being of Paris. The last thing that I read of "hers" was a quote about how now that she is making her own money that she "really appreciates the value of hard work" Looking "ho-ish" is not actually hard work and I just can't go on, because it is counter to gratefulness....


I am blessed to have a beautiful family and a level head on my shoulders. I am so lucky to have food and shelter for my kids and the ablilty to get them an education. I do need to work on the whole judgemental thing, I am such a work in progress.

9:41 PM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

oh how i love you...

i am thankful for all of the usual wonderful stuff already covered in the previous posts
but i am also very grateful for the internet
without which

a)i would never have gotten(?) back in contact with mrs. left coast sister..without which i would not spend every post laughing & nodding in agreement

b) i wouldn't get to be in contact on a daily basis with people from all over the place (& some in the same town)

c) i would think blog was something you find at the bottom of the sink after you do dishes (is there a name for that stuff?)

d)i would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do at 11:53pm on a wednesday night

did i mention i LOVE you?

(hey my word verification tonight ends in 'wuwu'
gotta love that..)

12:00 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Lisa, I'm with you. These are the people who make our community GREAT (or not)! And taller, I agree. I think she fascinates me because there is not one thing that she offers the world, however she is famous and people pay to be around her. One of those I-can't-get-it phenoms. JMB, I agree. I love a good celebrity filled mag whilst working my way through vacation, but I sometimes want to scream, "Do you know that the money you spent on diamond shoes you have on could feed the Darfur refugee camps for a year?!!"
Not to go unmentioned, thanks for the love, emilyruth truth! You are wonderful and a big shout-out to Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and the Russian guys at Google who have made me re-find my peeps. Love you, Em!! (my verification is ycggladr... yes, I'm glad!)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

and this teacher has to go back to work this week to help pay the mortgage and leaves behind her almost 2 1/2 month old for Daddy (some days, and auntie other days) to look after...it stinks.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home