Friday, September 15, 2006

Since I have nothing else to say...

Does anyone else think it's a little wierd that the current Survivor episode has all the teams divided by race? So it's the Hispanics (their word) vs. Asian Americans vs. Whites vs. African Americans. Of course all of the teams still have earthy names typical of Survivor, like the Itzis and the Hitis etc, which also seems a little Noble Savage-esque to me... I think it's a little weird. I heard about this on another blog, but I thought the writer was spoofing. Here's the article I just read. http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=234149&GT1=7703
One of the tv people says something like it's the "greatest social experiment of our time", which I think is a bit of a stretch. Or maybe I just hope we've come up with better social experiments than this.
Maybe this is entirely not weird and I'm just living with my head in the sand. Questions, comments, concerns?

7 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Yes, I think is is weird. My husband was watching it last night and I only saw the last 5 min. but, it seems like asking for trouble.

I don't think we should play out the "best social experiment ever" on reality tv.

Just my 2 cents!!! Happy weekend!

Carrie

3:41 PM  
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, tv's such a great forum for social and moral experiments. A sure recipe for success. I saw some articles in our paper about this actually and some stuff on the internet. Makes me so glad that I don't have a tv and don't have to get sucked into it!

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto. Hours of this life here are too precious...

btw, anxiously awaiting a post on the first day of preschool!!!

5:44 AM  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i think that this is the first time
that people are talking about survivor in
umm let's see about 3 years...
i believe that answers the question...
:)

3:56 PM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I will freely admit....
I watch Survivor...there I said it....

it is out there....

I thought that it was funny funny funny.... but I think that most contrived "reality" things are.

If this is the greatest social experiment of our time.... people are just getting dumber and dumber and doing fewer actual "things".

But on the other hand TV is THE medium that is accessible to the "un-washed masses" and if people want to say that they are watching a "ground-breaking social experiment" let them bask in their delusion.

Let's get real people.... it is a TV show!!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

It is a sign of the Apocalpyse.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I agree with all of the above! A sign of the Apocolypse, of course, I don't know why I hadn't considered that before! And, you're right emilyruth, I bit the bait and I'm talking about a tv show that just wants my attention! They win... argh!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home