Sunday, August 27, 2006

I'm not old, I'm retro

OK, so now I'm not only an old lady, I can't stand today's fashions. There, I've said it. Never been much of a fashion pariah, but I used to think, "Wow, if only I had no budget, I could really look great in that outfit." Now I think, "Wow, if only I had no budget, I could look like I did in 8th grade. Minus the braces and the bilevel, but 8th grade nonetheless."
The reason for my lament about the state of fashion today: I went to the Gap's website, to see what's out there. I haven't shopped for a while but I'm sure I've hit the malls since 1988. I'm sure of it. But what I saw could have fooled me. They had some outfits all picked out for their online shoppers with no creativity, what did I find? The very outfit I would have loved in 8th grade. Not because I was such a fashion-forward 8th grader. BECAUSE THIS OUTFIT WAS COOL IN 8TH GRADE! Yikes, people! This outfit put together by the good people at the gap consisted of a halter-polo top, a mini-skirt and (drumroll, please).... CONVERSE!! Not that there's anything wrong with Converse, but I had a pair in 8th grade, NO JOKE. Of course, I was so cool I had written all over them and had my friends sign them and stuff, and I wore them with a miniskirt, or at least wished that I had. To make matters worse, the outfit was titled. (It's so bad it makes me cringe, kind of like when people title their photos... "Susie wants you to play too!" and "Making funny faces for daddy!" Pictures say a thousand words, people... don't tell me what I'm supposed to think about them... but I digress.) This particular outfit is called "Sleek and sexy." Nothing wrong with being sleek or sexy. But I know of exactly no one who is sexy in Converse. Fun, maybe. Sporty, perhaps. But not sleek and certainly not sexy. (Ever seen the insides of a pair of Cons worn with no socks for about 5 minutes? Definitely not sexy.)
So that's it. Maybe I should offer some solutions to the fashion designers of today, but I have none. I just don't ever want to go back to the '80's and it looks like that's where we are going. It's a good time to be a stay at home mom, because my fashion statements include spit up on my shoulders, not shoulder pads. Scary thing is, I heard a whisper that those were coming back too. When the Gunny Sax store opens up, it's all over for me, folks. I'll be stuck wearing my 2004 model clothes that are safe from the influence of 1988 while Paris Hilton parades around in Keds, a hot-pink polo with the color up and acid washed jeans. Ick ick ick.

2 Comments:

Blogger emilyruth said...

i agree & disagree..

i love converse (surprise surprise!)
& i always will
though i agree i have never fely sexy because i was wearing them
maybe sexy & wearing them
but not BECAUSE:)

i agree that the fashion future looks familiar
but i just take solice i knwing that we were there first
(i hear my dad's voice in my head saying
'i wore converse in junior high':)
but you never had a coca cola shirt, dad...

and as far as paris wearing acid washed jeans
you have to admit
that would be fu-nny
with a capital F:)

ps
never wearing shoulder pads again
NEVER
if i ever change my mind
you will know that
the media has gotten an evil hold on me..
rescue me please!
:)

4:23 AM  
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Emilyruth, you are too cute! But the thing is, you have the kind of personality that can do anything because you are genuine... you can wear Converse because you always HAVE and they are you. I take issue with Converse being employed in some sort of "new look" campaign when we all know that their newness is rather... old. But I'm all for Paris a la 1988, aren't you?!
VK, I completely agree. Don't know if I'll egver be so OK with myself as to buy a Sag Harbor garment even if it is what I"m looking for. And thank you for the compliment, that's the nicest thing I've heard! Thank you.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home